Monday, May 3, 2010

Ubuntu lucid lynx 10.4 on Vaio CS17G

Its nearly a week since the release of ubuntu lucid lynx or ubuntu 10.4. I upgraded when it was still beta and now i have fully updated lynx. On my vaio cs17g, i was hoping it will fix few specific glitches with this laptop. see my previous blog for this.
So does anything change? Not really
Although there are a lot of improvements over ubuntu 9.10 like,

  • Faster boot time: some guys claim to have a boot time of less than 10 secs, i get around 15 secs till Login screen.
  • Improved appearances: in the sense, better default themes, i like dust sand, ambience
  • Introduction of "me menu" which i feel is a very nice idea.
In terms of addressing my specific problems pertaining to this laptop, no much change.

  • suspend does not work: it suspends well but no keyboard on wake up
  • Inbuilt microphone does not work
  • Media keys do not work
I managed to get the brightness key working after tweaking and getting them to work with nvclock.

Apart from these glitches i feel it is a great improvement over the previous release.